Am here in Suffolk for a memorial service for one of my families matriarchs. She was 96 and has done a huge amount in her life. She has also suffered so much grief, as she had lost two of her four sons in tragic circumstances at different times, early on in their lives. Then she lost her husband, and since then has soldiered on tirelessly to help others cope with grief and loss. Her latest project has been to set up a hospice for those who are suffering through cancer/disease/end-stages-of-life.
My hat off to her and all her efforts. She has used her life well.
I hope that my efforts will also make an impact on those who are struggling in some way or another. I really want to reach out to those who are fighting to be heard. Abuse is NOT ok and I want to be a voice to speak out and declare that any type of abuse should not be occurring.
Sad facts of this world are that there is way too much of it. Too many are being subjected to abuse and it does not seem to be diminishing! Surely in this day and age when we have so much internet connection you might think that there would be more awareness..... but apparently not.
Everywhere I go I meet new people who have their own story to share. Too many suffer in silence due to one reason or another. Some people are not even aware that they are in an abusive situation, like myself. I was just struggling on trying to make the best of life, and coping with the home situation. Truth is that only when I was confronted with the Domestic Violence wheel and asked to underline the things that were happening in my house/life that I realised how much was going on and how much we were putting up with, which should NOT be the norm!!
Too many people are suffering quietly in their own corners of the world and so it goes on!
When one gets married it seems that expectations of a life of bliss fly out of the window. I met a nurse in Brisbane as I was working as a Clinical Facilitator, who was excited at her pending marriage. A few months later I was back working with more students on her ward. She was looking well, but related her horrendous story, of how, as soon as she was married, the man she thought she could spend the rest of her life with, turned and started to control her in so many ways. Restricting her relationships with her family and friends, controlling her spending and then started to demean her with vile words. She had the sense to leave, and is now living with a new partner who loves and respects her and is helping her along her healing journey!
All power to those who are on that healing journey! It does take time, and may take years, but there is HOPE!
Have a great day!
No comments:
Post a Comment